CJMailloux6 months ago
Another proud citizen from Providence, Rhode Island - the Creative Capital.
1. Do GOOD-er hub— Too many to list! Pecha Kucha, TEDxProvidence, Betaspring, Business Innovation Factory, Social Enterprise Greenhouse, Better World By Design, Learning401, Wooly Fair, Foo Fest, AS200, Clam Bake, RallyRI, Founders League, Rhode Island Foundation, and universities galore (Brown, RISD, JWU, PC, RIC). Providence is a hub for festivals, food, startups, design, and beyond.
2. Civic engagement—We know people our people are awake because each of our neighborhoods is awake. We have strong community-based neighborhood associations like the West Broadway Neighborhood Association and Summit and strong partnerships with state-wide organizations like Farm Fresh who bring support farmer’s markets city-wide. The best example of our civic engagement is our recent victory for Marriage Equality, a battle fought both in the State House and door knocking statewide.
3. Local vibes—Local? Yeah… we’ve got that. Take a stroll down Thayer, Wayland, Westminster, Wickenden, South Main, or Broadway and prepare to be dazzled by the wide array of shops and restaurants that make our city great. Does your city have its own piñata store?
4. Defining moment—WaterFire. Definitely Waterfire.
5. Pick-me-up of choice—Our official drink is Coffee Milk – a solid choice. And then of course there’s Del’s Lemonade. Newport Creamery’s Awful Awful is also a must-try. And you mustn’t visit without trying an artisanal cocktail from Cook and Brown, The Avery, or The Eddy….