John Perez was acquitted on Friday, February 21, for charges stemming from an altercation with Allentown, Pennsylvania police that was caught on video.
Footage from September 2018 shows an officer pushing Perez to the ground. After Perez got to his feet, multiple officers kicked and punched him in an attempt to get him back on the ground.
Perez claims he was responding to insults hurled at him by the officers. The police say that Perez was picking a fight. The altercation left Perez with a broken nose, scrapes, swelling, and bruises from his hips to his shoulder.
- 'Faces of the Movement' Against Police Brutality ›
- The Mothers Who Lost Their Children To Police Brutality - GOOD ›
- An App To Fix Police Brutality? - GOOD ›
- 5 ways everyday citizens can start holding police departments accountable - GOOD ›
- Families of slain Black Americans join 600+ groups urging UN probe of U.S. police violence - GOOD ›
- Comedian Eric Andre has the perfect explanation for why the 'Cops' TV show was canceled - GOOD ›