Cancel culture, call-out culture, hashtag activism, clicktivism … are all names for how people are publicly shamed by social media mobs. This can lead to damaging their careers and reputations.
Call-outs can be effective at bringing the wrongs committed by public figures to light. It worked to create public awareness about the serious sexual misconduct of R. Kelly, Harvey Weinstein, and Bill O'Reilly.
But it has also made pariahs out of people who did something good but were found to have some skeletons in their social media closet.
- Barack Obama wrote an essay sharing how protests can lead to 'real change' after George Floyd's murder - GOOD ›
- Barack Obama wrote an essay on how protests can lead to 'real change' after George Floyd's murder - GOOD ›
- Barack Obama has a message about being politically woke - CNN ... ›
- Barack Obama calls out cancel culture: 'That's not activism, that's not ... ›
- Obama: 'Get Over' Being 'Woke,' Stop Online Outrage Cancel Culture ›
- Obama shoots down 'woke' political purists, derides cancel culture ... ›
- President Obama cautions against cancel culture ›
- President Obama on being woke and cancel culture: 'That's not ... ›
- Obama sounds off on cancel culture, 'woke' purity: 'That's not activism' ›