Green soap company Method is releasing a new line of soap packaged in bottles made from plastic recycled from the Pacific Garbage Patch near Hawaii.
Designer cleaning product company Method is one of the latest businesses to try to chip away at the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a large mass of plastic debris in waters off the coast of Hawaii.
<p> The soap company’s been <a href="http://methodhome.com/national-oceans-month-cleanup/">scouring beaches</a> at Kahuku’s James Campbell Wildlife Refuge in Oahu for plastic debris to turn into bottles for a new soap they’re <a href="http://www.wired.com/design/2012/07/method-soap-bottle-from-ocean-plastic/">releasing in November</a>. They've been <a href="http://methodhome.com/ocean-plastic-into-bottles/">working for some time</a> on using plastic found in the ocean for their packaging.</p><p> The Patch isn’t exactly a new phenomenon—the media’s been covering it for years—but it’s about time solutions started rolling in.</p><p> Though Pacific Ocean plastic will make up only 10 percent of the new soap’s bottles (the remaining 90 percent will be recycled as well, just not from the Pacific Ocean), Method’s mass-production of the bottle could end up making a dent. Other recent solutions include a <a href="http://www.good.is/post/swimming-with-the-trash-a-marine-drone-seeks-to-scoop-up-plastic/">Marine drone equipped to sense and scoop up trash</a> while swimming through the ocean.</p><p> Though the Patch has been deemed <a href="http://www.good.is/post/the-size-of-the-pacific-garbage-patch-is-grossly-exaggerated/">nearly impossible to eradicate</a> because of its size and the amount of energy that would be necessary to erase it, Method’s team, along with volunteers from the Sustainable Coastlines and the Kokua Hawaii Foundation, have picked up more than 3,000 pounds of the plastic, with plans for its recycled material to house a 2-in-1 dish and hand cleaner.</p><p> <em>Image via (<a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/">cc</a>) <a href="http://www.wired.com/design/2012/07/method-soap-bottle-from-ocean-plastic/">Wired</a></em></p>
Keep Reading Show less