A report from Common Sense Media found the average child between the ages of 0 and 8 has 2 hours and 19 minutes of screen time a day, and 35% of their screen time is on a mobile device. A new study conducted by the Cincinnati Children's Hospital published in the journal, JAMA Pediatrics, found exactly what all that screen time is doing to your kid, or more specifically, your kid's developing brain. It turns out, more screen time contributes to slower brain development.
First, researchers gave the kids a test to determine how much and what kind of screen time they were getting. Were they watching fighting or educational content? Were they using it alone or with parents? Then, researchers examined the brains of children aged 3 to 5 year olds by using MRI scans. Forty seven brain-healthy children who hadn't started kindergarten yet were used for the study.
They found that kids who had more than one hour of screen time a day without parental supervision had lower levels of development in their brain's white matter, which is important when it comes to developing cognitive skills, language, and literacy.
- Teaching Outside the Textbook: From 'The Abolitionists' to a Two ... ›
- The Delicious Tingly Sensation That Travels From Your Brain To ... ›
- Thanks to Crowdfunding, the World's First Brain Scan Study of LSD's ... ›
- Fall Down, Go Boom - GOOD ›
- A Father's Day Reminder: Your Kids Aren't Really Growing Up ... ›
- Actor Taye Diggs Wants Families To Get Active At National Parks ... ›
- Can Rupert Murdoch Speed the Coming of Online Learning? | GOOD ›
- How Apps Are Helping Kids with Autism Learn to Communicate ... ›
- A new PSA smartly reveals just how dangerous tackle football is for ... ›
- Why South Korea Is Putting the Brakes on the Switch to Digital ... ›
- What is all that screen time doing to your child's brain? | NIH ... ›
- Study: Limiting kids' screen time improves brain function ›
- Too Much Screen Time Can Have Lasting Consequences for Young ... ›
- Brains of young children who get more screen time have lower ... ›
- Screen-based media associated with structural differences in brains ... ›
- MRIs show screen time linked to lower brain development in ... ›
- How does screen time affect kids' brains? The first results of a ... ›
- Screen Use Tied to Children's Brain Development - The New York ... ›
- Screen time might be physically changing kids' brains - MIT ... ›
- Too much screen time changes brains, says Cincinnati Children's ... ›