Muslim group calls for boycott of 2022 Olympics in Beijing because it's 'anathema to the olympic spirit'
Every four years, the world comes together for the Olympics. We set aside our differences of race, religion, and nationality and are, for a brief moment, just citizens of the world. The event itself says it promotes "peace, friendship and understanding in the world." Now, top Muslim group, Emgage, is saying the location of the 2022 Winter Olympics, Beijing, China, violates the ideals of the Olympics.
Emgage works to increase Muslim American involvement in politics. They held the first Muslim-American presidential forum, and released a report showing a 25% increase in Muslim voters in swing states from 2014 to 2015. Now, they want the U.S. Olympic National Committee to boycott the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, saying that the Chinese government has been persecuting Uighur Muslims (ethnically Turkic Muslims).
- The Case for Boycotting Beijing 2022 – The Diplomat ›
- Concerns and controversies at the 2008 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia ›
- Congress must take action on Chinese human rights abuses | TheHill ›
- List of Olympic Games scandals and controversies - Wikipedia ›
- Boycott the Beijing Olympics | Opinion | The Guardian ›
- Calls Mount to Boycott Beijing 2008 Olympics Over Human Rights ... ›
- Call for EU to study Beijing Olympic boycott | Financial Times ›
- Beijing 2022: Should We Boycott China's Winter Olympics? ›
- Beijing's Olympics Paved the Way for Xinjiang's Camps – Foreign ... ›
- Top Muslim Group Calls For U.S. Boycott Of 2022 Winter Olympics In ... ›