Climate change means our future is uncertain, but in the meantime, it's telling us a lot about our past. The Earth's glaciers are melting at an alarming rate, but as the ice dwindles, ancient artifacts are being uncovered. The Secrets of the Ice project has been surveying the glaciers on Norway's highest mountains in Oppland since 2011. They have found a slew of treasures, frozen in time and ice, making glacier archeologists, as Lars Pilø, co-director of Secrets of the Ice, put it when talking to CNN, the "unlikely beneficiaries of global warming."
Instead of digging, glacier archeologists survey the areas of melting ice, seeing which artifacts have been revealed by the thaw. "It's a very different world from regular archaeological sites," Pilø told National Geographic. "It's really rewarding work.
- Archaeologists Race Melting Glaciers to Rescue Iron and Bronze ... ›
- Norway's melting ice is revealing priceless ancient artifacts | MNN ... ›
- Climate change melting pre-Viking artifacts out of Norway's glaciers ... ›
- Global Warming Reveals Amazing Glacier Artifacts from ... ›
- Melting glaciers are revealing Viking relics in Norway | Adventure.com ›
- Climate Change Reveals Glacial Archaeology Finds in Oppland ... ›
- Climate change reveals and threatens thawing relics - CNN ›
- 8 Amazing Things Uncovered by Melting Glaciers and Ice | Mental ... ›
- Norway's Melting Glaciers Release Over 2,000 Artifacts | Smart ... ›
- Melting Glaciers Reveal Stunning Archeological Finds | Art & Object ›