North Korea remains arguably the most mysterious place on Earth. Its people and modern day customs are shrouded behind a digital and physical wall of propaganda. Many people in the United States feel that North Korea is our "enemy" but almost none of us have had the opportunity to interact with an actual person who lives in, or has lived under, the country's totalitarian regime.
Even more elusive is what life is like in one of North Korea's notorious prison camps. It's been reported that millions live in horrific conditions, facing the real possibility of torture and death on a daily basis. That's what makes this question and answer session with an escaped North Korean prisoner all the more incredible to read.
- North Korea prisoner Otto Warmbier had no signs of torture – coroner ›
- North Korean gulags 'as terrible, or even worse' than Nazi camps ... ›
- North Korea's prisons are as bad as Nazi camps, says judge who ... ›
- Life in North Korea's prison camps - Business Insider ›
- Former guard reveals what life is like at a North Korean prison camp ... ›
- How North Korea Deals With American Prisoners | The New York ... ›
- Prisons in North Korea - Wikipedia ›
- North Korea's prisons: How harsh are conditions? - BBC News ›