The GOOD Lunch: Brussels Sprouts Salad with Spiced Pecans
Brussels Sprouts Salad with Spiced Pecans
Makes 10 servings
1 large bag/2 lbs brussels sprouts
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups pecans
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
salt and pepper to taste
• Preheat oven to 450°F.
• Cut the brussels sprouts in halves or quarters and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
• Simmer yellow onion with garlic and olive oil until browned.
• Add Brussels sprouts to the onion and garlic and mix together for about 5-10 minutes.
• Move the Brussels sprout and onion mixture to a baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, or until further browned.
• Meanwhile, mix the pecans with vegetable oil and sugar until the pecans are covered. Place onto a baking sheet lined with foil.
• Once the Brussels sprouts are roasted and tender, remove from the oven and set aside.
• Lower the heat to 325°F and toast the pecans for about 10-15 minutes. Remove pecans and let cool completely.
• Add the pecans to the Brussels sprouts, mix together and serve.
• Top with goat cheese for a cool and creamy contrast.
How did our salad rate in terms of taste, cost, and prep time?
Cost: $20 ($2.00 per serving)
Prep Time: 10 minutes prep/40 minutes to cook
Taste: 3.5 stars
This salad was so good it could be eaten as a main course for dinner! We chose to heat it up just a bit so that it was no longer cold. Adding cool goat cheese on top afterward made for a nice contrast. The spiced pecans were an unexpected twist and would be good in many different salads.
Every Tuesday and Thursday in 2011, the GOOD team is cooking and sharing a big bowl of healthy, vegetarian, seasonal soup or salad. This time last week we were enjoyed a big bowl of 4 star Feldsalat, with a salad dressing recipe handed down through 3 generations.