The U.K. is trying to reach its goal of net-zero emissions by 2050, but aviation may become the biggest source of greenhouse gas emissions in the U.K. by that same year. A new study commissioned by the Committee on Climate Change (CCC) and conducted at the Imperial College London says that in order for the U.K. to reach its target, aviation can only see a 25% increase, and they've got a very specific recommendation on how to fix it: Curb frequent flyer programs.
Currently, air travel accounts for 2% of global greenhouse gas emissions, however that number is projected to increase for several reasons. There's a growing demand for air travel, yet it's harder to decarbonize aviation. Electric cars are becoming more common. Electric planes, not so much. If things keep on going the way they are, flights in the U.K. should increase by 50%.
Nearly every airline in the world has a frequent flyer program. The programs offer perks, including free flights, if customers get a certain amount of points. According to the study, 70% of all flights from the U.K. are taken by 15% of the population, with many people taking additional (and arguably unnecessary) flights to "maintain their privileged traveler status."
- You've Got Mail! - GOOD ›
- Makin' It: Carolyn Vega, Librarian for Handwritten Stuff - GOOD ›
- Neighborday Recap: The 10 Best Things That Happened April 27 ... ›
- The Galapagos Airport is Now Powered Entirely by Green Energy ... ›
- Don't Touch My Junk (Food): Why Airline Meals Aren't Better Why Is ... ›
- The #WomanCard Thread On Twitter Is Today's Best Thing In Politics ›
- The Climate Change Hypocrisy Of Jet-Setting Academics | HuffPost ›
- Repent for Your Frequent Flyer Miles! – Foreign Policy ›
- A new UK report suggests banning air-miles programs and taxing ... ›
- Committee on Climate Change suggest ban on air miles rewards ... ›
- Climate Activists Want To Ban Frequent Flyer Programs | One Mile at ... ›
- Climate change group recommends banning all frequent flyer ... ›
- Ban air miles to fight climate change, UK government committee ... ›
- Air miles should be axed to deter frequent fliers, advises report ... ›
- Climate change: Ban on air miles urged to cut frequent flights | News ... ›
- Ban air miles and stop frequent flyers to combat climate change ... ›