UN says climate change disasters are occurring at a rate of one a week, and we need to start preparing
Large climate events, like Europe's crazy heatwave this summer, draw a lot of attention, but the U.N. is warning it's the smaller, unnoticed climate change events that should be getting our attention. Not only that, but they're more common than we think. In fact, we've been experiencing one a week.
According to Mami Mizutori, the U.N. secretary-general's special representative on disaster risk reduction, climate change isn't a long-term issue. "This is not about the future, this is about today," Mizutori told The Guardian. "Lower impact events," such as heatwaves and flooding, can wreak havoc just as much as the bigger storms, leaving death and destruction in their wake.
The point isn't to sit around and think about how we're all doomed; the point is to do something about it so that we're not doomed. Mizutori says we need to invest in solving the problem now. "People need to talk more about adaptation and resilience," she said. "We talk about a climate emergency and a climate crisis, but if we cannot confront this [issue of adapting to the effects] we will not survive," she told the Guardian. "We need to look at the risks of not investing in resilience." In other words, it's not just about stopping greenhouse emissions, it's about adapting to their effects.
- extreme weather ›
- 2010 Year in Review: Extreme Weather and Climate Events - GOOD ›
- weather and climate ›
- Climate Connection Unclear, But Alabama Reps Voted to Cut ... ›
- Whether People Believe in Climate Change Depends on the Current ... ›
- Midwest Superstorm Breaks Pressure Records - GOOD ›
- Italy will require all kids learn about climate change in school - GOOD ›
- Are Frequent Fliers to Blame for Extreme Weather Delays? Should ... ›
- The World Is Already Full of Climate Change Refugees - GOOD ›
- Networks Catching on to Link Between Climate Change, Extreme ... ›
- Climate change calls for an all-weather investment portfolio ... ›
- 'How did we get here?': Napa climate change event follows week of ... ›
- Weekly Address: Confronting the Growing Threat of Climate Change ... ›
- The Role Climate Change Plays In Weather Extremes : NPR ›
- Climate Crisis Weekly: 2019's extreme weather breaks records, UN ... ›
- The difference between weather and climate ›
- Oregon State University Researchers Find Conservatives Are ... ›
- If You Liked The Weather This Week, You'll Love Climate Change ... ›
- Weather Week: The connection between climate change and lake ... ›
- Flooding, Heat Waves and Deadly Wildfires This Week: Are They ... ›