Looking at the changes in the 23rd census.
The new census data was released today, and here's what we learned:
- There are about 309,000,000 people here (up almost 10 percent since the last census in 2000, though that is the slowest rate of growth since the great depression)
- Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, South Carolina, Texas, Utah and Washington will gain members in the House
- Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania will lose members in the House
- The state with the largest population growth: Nevada (35.1 percent)
- The state with the smallest: Michigan (-0.4 percent)