The GOOD Lunch: Couscous "Saloup"
• 8 cups vegetable broth
• 2 or 3 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cups whole wheat or regular couscous (I used whole wheat)
• 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into tiny pieces (about the size of, or smaller than your thumb)
• 2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into tiny pieces (about the size or smaller than your thumb)
• Sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (optional; to garnish)
• 4 green onions, thinly sliced
• Goat cheese to top (optional)
This soup is best eaten immediately after making. Read through for tips on what to do if you are transporting it to work and are unable to cook it there
• In a large pot heat the broth, red pepper flakes, and olive oil.
• Bring to a boil and remove from the heat
• Stir in the couscous for about 3 minutes.
• Next, stir in the broccoli and cauliflower.
• Stir together allowing the heat of the broth and couscous to cook the vegetables slightly
• Top each bowl with some sun-dried tomatoes, green onions, and a bit of goat cheese when ready to serve and enjoy!
How did our dish rate in terms of taste, cost, and prep time?
Cost: $22 ($2 per serving)
Taste: 3 stars
This soup/salad is best eaten immediately after cooking (and topping with sun dried tomatoes, green onions, and goat cheese). However, if you are bringing it to work to be eaten a few hours later, I suggest separating the solid from the liquid and bringing to work in separate containers. When ready to serve, you can eat the couscous as a hot or cold salad, OR re-heat the broth and top each bowl of couscous with it. Because this dish can either be eaten as a soup or a salad, we have categorized this dish as a "Saloup!"
Every Tuesday and Thursday during 2011, the GOOD team will cook and share a big bowl of healthy, vegetarian, seasonal soup or salad. This time last week we were enjoying Pear Cinnamon Couscous. The GOOD Lunch will explore new recipes that are easy to bring, serve and share in the workplace. We hope this will inspire you to make your office lunch a GOOD Lunch.
Think this is good?1 person thinks this is good0 people think this is good