Ray LaHood: "The End of Favoring Motorized Transportation"
Our Secretary of Transportation, Ray LaHood, appeared National Bike Summit last week where he stood on a table and told the cyclists "you have a...
Our Secretary of Transportation, Ray LaHood, appeared National Bike Summit last week where he stood on a table and told the cyclists "you have a full partner in Ray LaHood." There's video below the jump.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIXi-AFiayEYesterday, he took to his Fastlane blog to declare "This is the end of favoring motorized transportation at the expense of non-motorized," and issed a new "Policy Statement"-effectively a list of recommendations for state departments of transportation. Here's what he's telling the states to do:
- Treat walking and bicycling as equals with other transportation modes.
- Ensure convenient access for people of all ages and abilities.
- Go beyond minimum design standards.
- Collect data on walking and biking trips.
- Set a mode share target for walking and bicycling.
- Protect sidewalks and shared-use paths the same way roadways are protected (for example, snow removal)
- Improve nonmotorized facilities during maintenance projects.