We've all felt lonely at some point in our lives. It's a human experience as universal as happiness, sadness or even hunger. But there's been a growing trend of studies and other evidence suggesting that Americans, and people in general, are feeling more lonely than ever.
It's easy to blame technology and the way our increasingly online lives have further isolated us from "real" human interactions. The Internet once held seemingly limitless promise for bringing us together but seems to be doing just the opposite.
Except that's apparently not true at all. A major study from Cigna on loneliness found that feelings of isolation and loneliness are on the rise amongst Americans but the numbers are nearly identical amongst those who use social media and those who don't. Perhaps more importantly, the study found five common traits amongst those who don't feel lonely.
- Loneliness Is Bad For Your Health - GOOD ›
- Why Can't People Cozy up to Cuddle Capitalism? | GOOD ›
- The Paris Climate Agreement Fixed Climate Change, Right? Not So ... ›
- 16 things people don't realize you're doing because you're ... ›
- This Boot Camp Trains Young People To Fight Plastic Pollution ... ›
- This Fallout Shelter Community Envisions a Less Lonely Apocalypse ›
- Patented: A Phone for Lonely Cats, Dogs, and Humans | GOOD ›
- The Future Is Lonely: Why I'm Only Having One Kid - GOOD ›
- GOOD ›
- The Sole Student In Her School's Walkout Is Reminded That She's ... ›
- How can I stop feeling lonely? | Isolation and loneliness | ReachOut ... ›
- How To Deal With Loneliness - Never Feel Lonely Again! - YouTube ›
- All By Yourself? 10 Ways To Overcome Loneliness ›
- What To Do When You Are Feeling Lonely, Lost And Depressed ›
- 25 Creative And Surprising Things To Do When You Feel Lonely ›
- How to Stop Feeling Lonely (with Pictures) - wikiHow ›
- Advice From Therapists on What to Do When You Feel Lonely ›
- 10 Things to Try When You're Feeling Lonely | Psychology Today ›
- How to Not Feel Lonely: 50 Tricks to Try | Reader's Digest ›
- 6 Life-Changing Methods to Not Feel Lonely All the Time - Happier ... ›