Show up and be heard.
Things are easier said than done, or so the old adage goes, and we couldn't agree more. That's why we do The GOOD 30-Day Challenge (#30DaysofGOOD), a monthly attempt to live better. Our challenge for February? GOOD citizenship.
Attend a local council meeting.
Attending a public meeting is your direct way of participating in the life of your community. It's a great venue for becoming more informed, and for informing decision-makers about the issues you care about. Don't let other people speak for you—by adding your voice and passion to the picture, you make democracy work.
Here are some things to keep in mind when you attend a public meeting:
- Find out what's on the agenda
- Find out when and where to go
- Get there early
- Observe how things work before signing up to speak
- Be informed, direct, timely, considerate of others, and respectful when speaking
- Encourage others to join you \n
Propose an idea to promote GOOD citizenship where you live for a chance to win $500 to make it happen.