When scientists discovered a planet outside our solar system that could sustain life, people wasted no time telling the aliens how we feel.
French scientists have confirmed the discovery of the first planet outside of our solar system capable of sustaining life. Called Gliese 581d, it orbits a red dwarf star called Gliese 581, and researchers believe it's placed in a "Goldilocks zone," that is, a place in the sky in which it's not too hot and not too cold. That means that despite being 20 light years away, Gliese 581d could have liquid water, a key ingredient for human habitation.
Two years ago, in anticipation of this confirmation, the team at Australian science magazine COSMOS asked readers to submit messages to be transmitted to the theoretical residents of Gliese 581d. The messages still have about 19 years to go until they reach their destination, but here's a collection of the ones we hope get the first response.
1. Tamasin, Australia: "If you come to Earth look into: music, the beach, ice cream, hugs, family, love, dancing, cheese, trampolines, friendship, books and dreams. Just for a start."
2. Petr Flešar, Czech Republic: "Long live Dave Grohl. Long live Foo Fighters. Long live Czech beer. Let's rock!"
3. Sam, Australia: "2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47 53 59 61 67 71 73 79 83 89 97 101"
4. Shen Yuren, China: "Hello.I'm from China.I'm 17.I want to be the manager of an NBA team.I hope I can live with my love happily forever.The cool boy welcomes you!"
5. Otto Koivuranta, Finland: "The lust for money will be the end of earth. I hope the same thing won't happen to you."
8. Kate, Australia: "Alien dude, need tickets to Pearl Jam."
9. Dr. Okowon Falafalokoronko, Nigeria: "Sir. Let’s make a deal together. I have inheritance of $25m which I need help to release.Please send your interplanetary BSB a/c details. Thankyouplease."
10. Geoffrey Irvin, Australia: "May you live in peace and prosperity. To live is the best gift in the universe. Do not take what you cannot give. Respect all life. Be in awe of the vastness."
11. Pi, Australia: "3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974"
12. Richard, Australia: "Please understand any messages from politicians (our leaders) do not represent the rest of us. This is an Earth tradition."
13. Maria, Australia: "Do gyms exist where you come from??? Is there such a thing as calorie counting and body image issues ? If not please come get me ASAP PPLLLEEAASSEE"
14. Admiral Ackbar, Yemen: "IT'S A TRAP!"
15. Mandy, Australia: Earth is filled with contradictions, idiosyncrasies and unrealised potential, but that is what makes it interesting. Please don’t hold it against us."
16. Hubert Xiao, Australia: "Well, this is what we know.[Please don't laugh if we're wrong]- E=MC^2 F=ma W=Fd F=G[(m1m2)/R^2] Speed of light = 2.99792458*10^8 m/s Hope it helps!"
17. Samuel Kronenberg, Australia: "Hello from Earth. I am Sam. I am 7 years old and keep 4 types of animals as pets. 2 mice, one dog, a cat and fish. Do you have pets"
18. Sriman, India: "Hi, Pls eradicate the all non-sense things which r going in everywhere in india so i hope with you it will possible so pls help india"
20. Chris Dziemborowicz, Australia: "Why do we sometimes bite the insides of our own mouths?"
21. Adrian, Australia: "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
22. Erik K. Veland, Australia: "Apologies in advance for most of these messages. They are an example of our primitive humour."