Sin City is doing something good for its less fortunate citizens as well as those who've broken the law this month. The city of Las Vegas, Nevada will drop any parking ticket fines for those who make a donation to a local food bank.
A parking ticket can cost up to $100 in Las Vegas but the whole thing can be forgiven by bringing in non-perishable food items of equal or greater value to the Parking Services Offices at 500 S. Main Street through December 16.
The program is designed to help the less fortunate during the holidays.
All donations go to Helping Hands of Vegas Valley, a 501(c)3 nonprofit that works to provide assistance to frail and low-income seniors in North Las Vegas and the Las Vegas Valley.
The organization focuses its work on providing seniors with access to nutritious food, transportation for medical appointments and other necessary errands, and assistance with minor home repairs.
The following public safety-related parking tickets are excluded from the program:
Any handicap violation
18 inches from curb
Blocking an alley
No parking areas
Blocking or facing traffic
Too close to intersection, crosswalk or stop/yield sign
According to the Las Vegas Review Journal, one in six residents of Clark County worry about whether they have enough food to eat. That's a greater percentage of the population than the rest of the United States which is about one in nine.
The Las Vegas area was hit especially hard by the Great Recession in 2008 but appears to be making a comeback with unemployment now back to pre-recession levels.
Las Vegas has been running charitable programs to help the less fortune via parking ticket fines since 2016. Earlier this year, the city accepted donations of school supplies in lieu of parking ticket fines.
- Talking to a Famous Person: Adam Gardner - GOOD ›
- Helping a Family Pay Tribute to their Daughter with Clean Water ... ›
- Special Olympics World Games 2015 ›
- How You Can Help the Maasai Win $50,000 - GOOD ›
- The Un-Daily Deal Site That Wants You to Donate for Discounts ... ›
- Anchorage drivers will be able to donate school supplies instead of ... ›
- Cities Are Letting Drivers Pay Parking Fines with Holiday Food ... ›
- Donations For Citations | California State University, Long Beach ›
- Parking tickets can be paid off with school supplies and cat food in ... ›
- Police Ask People to Pay Off Their Unpaid Parking Tickets With ... ›
- Police accepted animal shelter donations to pay for parking tickets ›
- Drivers can pay parking tickets by donating school supplies ›
- Donations for Citations // Parking & Transportation // University of ... ›
- Police department allows people to pay parking tickets with animal ... ›
- Pay ›
- Pay off your Las Vegas parking tickets with holiday food donations ... ›
- Traffic Division ›
- Las Vegas Is Letting Drivers Pay Their Parking Tickets With Donated ... ›
- Las Vegas letting drivers pay parking tickets with school supplies ... ›
- Las Vegas parking tickets: Violators can pay with school supplies ... ›
- Las Vegas will allow people to pay for parking tickets with a food ... ›
- City of Las Vegas Parking Services ›