Please let this happen.
Few things seem to get under Donald Trump's skin more than Barack Obama's legacy. In some ways, Trump's entire presidency is a reaction to Obama's, with Trump systematically working to unwind each of Obama's legislative and symbolic achievements.
So it's reasonable to assume that nothing would enrage Trump more than pulling up to his eponymous piece of real estate and seeing the street out front named after his biggest political nemesis.
That's exactly what Elizabeth Rowin had in mind when she launched a new online petition to rename the street in front of Trump Tower "President Barack H. Obama Avenue."
"I honestly started it as a joke," Elizabeth Rowin, the petition's organizer told Newsweek. "I saw a comedian joke about how it would make Trump so mad if it was named after former President Obama and thought why not."
Well, if it's a joke, a lot of people want to be in on it. Since being posted, over 100,000 people have already signed the petition. And with media attention swelling around the news, those numbers are only likely to rapidly expand.
'PRESIDENT BARACK H. OBAMA AVE.'? 50,000 PLUS SIGN PETITION TO RENAME STREET OUTSIDE TRUMP TOWER https://t.co/Q8UY6Df4IC— Patricia Arquette (@Patricia Arquette) 1565685650.0
Trump Fact: New Yorkers don't like Trump. They have started a petition to request that the stretch of Fifth Avenu… https://t.co/uAffmunTal— Donaldo (@Donaldo) 1565461924.0
Over 70,000 signatures already. Please sign! I just did! We should all be able to witness trumps face if this were… https://t.co/bVqqPSvUbL— Tris Resists (@Tris Resists) 1565733442.0
So, could it actually happen? Maybe.
The petition is addressed to Mayor Bill de Blasio and the City Council. De Blasio is running for president and is no fan of Trump. Bragging about having changed the street name could be a nice talking point for him on the campaign trail.
However, current city guidelines stipulate that if you're going to name a street after a person, the honoree has to be deceased and you need 75 percent of local residents to sign a formal petition authorizing the change. The neighborhood where Trump Tower is located also has placed a moratorium on street name changes.
That said, it's all a formality. Especially if there's a groundswell of support for making the change.
"I am sure the conditions can be changed," local District Manager Wally Rowin told Newsweek. "These laws are arbitrary and can be worked around."
In other words, he's saying there's a chance.
- You probably haven't heard, but Trump was 'celebrating' pride on ... ›
- President Obama Tells Trump To Quit “Whining” About “Rigged ... ›
- When It Comes To Putin, Obama's Photographer Has The Guts To ... ›
- Trump Overturns Obama-era Order Preventing Hibernating Bears ... ›
- All the brilliantly petty ways the UK is trolling Donald Trump during ... ›
- Melania Trump Accused Of Plagiarizing Michelle Obama's 2008 ... ›
- Obama And World Leaders React To Trump's Climate Decision ... ›
- Obama is officially done holding back after offering a stinging rebuke ... ›
- Obama and Trump both traveled abroad today. Their receptions ... ›
- Kellyanne Conway Suggests Obama May Have Spied On Trump ... ›
- Petition to name street outside Trump Tower after Obama gains ... ›
- Justice Department: No evidence Obama wiretapped Trump Tower ... ›
- Name Street in Front of Trump Tower After Obama, New York ... ›
- than 65000 sign online petition to rename street outside Trump ... ›
- 'President Barack H. Obama Ave.'? 50,000 Plus Sign Petition to ... ›
- Over 100,000 sign petition to rename street by Trump Tower after ... ›
- Over 70,000 people sign petition to rename Fifth Avenue outside ... ›
- Petition aims to rename Trump Tower New York City streets for Obama ›
- Online petition seeks to rename Trump Tower street after Barack ... ›
- Over 80,000 Sign Petition To Have Street Outside Trump Tower ... ›