GOOD Holiday Gift Guide 2010
We'll be the first to admit it: Holiday gift guides are not in short supply. But while they tend to tout next generation smartphones, cable-knit cashmere throws, or SUVs tied in big red bows, we often find ourselves missing any true meaningful exchange. So in putting together our very first ever GOOD Holiday Gift Guide, we sought out cool stuff to be sure, but we turned to a handpicked list of GOOD folks for their unique gift ideas, unusual holiday traditions, and some decidedly un-consumery things to make or experience in lieu of a trip to the mall or a click of the mouse. Hugs, gold, and time—all popular choices. Happy Holidays!—Allison Arieff
Our team of experts:
- Charles Adler, Co-Founder, Kickstarter
- Ken Albala, Author, The Lost Art of Real Cooking
- Frances Anderton, Host, DnA: Design and Architecture, KCRW
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and Co-Owner, Blue Hill
- Mark Frauenfelder, editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine and co-editor of Boing Boing
- Rob Forbes, PUBLIC Bikes
- Pavel Karamazov of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (aka Rod Kimball)
- Corby Kummer, food writer, The Atlantic
- Adam Lowry, co-founder and Chief Greenskeeper, Method
- Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, Co-owners of Heath Ceramics
- Ron Radziner, Principal, Marmol Radziner Architects
- Sonja Rasula, Unique LA
- Brian Rea, Artist/Illustrator
- Sarah Rich, Co-Founder Foodprint Project and Co-Founder, Longshot magazine
- Peter Smith, GOOD
- Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet, New Orleans
- Federico de Vera, Boutique owner/Jewelry designer
Nearly half of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People are women. Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people has more women than ever.
This couple set the perfect ‘trap’ to help a stranger in need. They wanted to be sure the person really needed the help.
Managers reveal why the 15 reasons new employees quit on the first day. Sometimes the job just isn’t what you expect it to be.
Michelle Obama is a surprise textbook example of how women thrive and grow through adulthood. “You find yourself by giving yourself away.”
These tree-planting drones are firing ‘seed missiles’ into the ground. Less than a year later, they’re already 20 inches tall. 10 drones can plant 400,000 trees in a day — enough to combat climate change in real time.
The letter that preceded one of Hollywood’s most epic downfalls. “I am a human being.”