In the United States, close to 10% of the population has depression, but sometimes it can take a long time for someone to even understand that they have it.
One difficulty in diagnosis is trying to distinguish between feeling down and experiencing clinical depression. This TED-Ed video from December 2015 can help make the distinction. With simple animation, the video explains how clinical depression lasts longer than two weeks with a range of symptoms that can include changes in appetite, poor concentration, restlessness, sleep disorders (either too much or too little), and suicidal ideation. The video briefly discusses the neuroscience behind the illness, outlines treatments, and offers advice on how you can help a friend or loved one who may have depression.
Unlike the many pharmaceutical ads out there with their cute mascots and vague symptoms, the video uses animation to provide clarity about the mental disorder. It's similar in its poignant simplicity to the HBO short documentary “ My Depression," based on Liz Swados' book of the same name.
Want to share this article with your friends? Just copy and paste this link:
- 20 things you didn't realize you were doing because of childhood ... ›
- The Same Genes That Make You Depressed Can Also Make You ... ›
- 16 things people don't realize you're doing because you're ... ›
- Reasonable People Disagree about the Post-Gen X, Pre-Millennial ... ›
- A viral Twitter thread about body autonomy is a reminder of the 'fear ... ›
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson Talks About His Struggle With ... ›
- Bjork's Black Lake is an Exquisite, Panoramic Ode to Sadness - GOOD ›
- Woman's viral thread perfectly breaks down how grieving feels over ... ›
- 7 Wonderful Quotes About Depression From The Great Robin Williams ›
- 4 Ways to Know if it's Sadness or Depression | Talkspace ›
- Depression vs sadness ›
- Sadness Vs. Depression - YouTube ›
- What's the difference between sadness and depression? | Here to ... ›
- 6 Ways To Tell The Difference Between Sadness And Depression ›
- The Difference Between Sadness and Depression - Mental Health ... ›
- Major Depression and the Blues: How to Know the Difference ›
- Depression vs. Sadness: What's the Difference? ›
- The Important Difference Between Sadness and Depression ... ›
- The difference between depression and sadness ›